Lumens Loonies – what’s all the fuss about?
Night time riding is different! Not just for the obvious reason that it's at night but for the simple reason that you only get a moments notice of approaching obstacles. Now, some riders go out and spend an absolute fortune on a light system that most lighthouses would be jealous of – which in my opinion spoils the attraction of night time riding. I believe the most fun can be had between the balance between a good amount of light to enable you to maintain a healthy amount of speed but not too much light that you’re riding in conditions brighter than broad daylight!!!
Benefits of Night Riding would include:
- Faster responses and reactions
- Enhance feeling of risk and therefore a better feeling of achievement.
- More adrenalin as your nerves at kept on alert.
- Increase in concentration stamina
- Willingness to take great risks – coz you can’t see the 70foot drop that’s just off to the left!!
- Quieter trails, roads, bridleways.
- The pubs are open too!
So, it's clear that night time riding is well worth a try, but rather than heading out into the wilderness alone, how do you get into it? Lumens Loonies are here to help. We’ve been taking people out on night rides for months. We’re still a small group of informal and social cyclists – nothing too serious. New comers are welcome each week, and no one is ever left behind.
What do you need to get started? The list is short but specific...
- A good bike capable of off road riding.
- A good set of lights – the led rubbish from a supermarket for £4.99 will not save your life!!!
- Appropriate clothing, in summer you could start out in 20degrees of sunshine, then ride home in 5degrees in pitch black!
- A willingness to give a new challenge a decent go!
A Word on Lights...
Sam rides with a light made by a brand called Exposure, they are handmade in England and look like a normal bike light, however they pump out a good amount of light in a very handy all-in-one design. The range starts at approx £120 and goes up to £300 or so for those pushing the limits further! High Power LED’s are fantastic for the battery life versus power trade off.
Exposure Lights are well regarded in the bike business as market leaders in terms of innovation and build quality.
Other riders of Lumens Loonies now ride using Exposure Lights having appreciated their talents, Sam has a trade account via his business at MBRS. If you would like to see the lights in action just ask come along on a ride!
If you would like advice on other lighting brands just give Sam a call on 07736674410 – he’s happy to offer advice for free!
What next – Arrive in Church Square just before 7.30pm on any Thursday night.
Location: Church Square.
Next Event: Click Here